Thursday, January 22, 2009

Escape Artist (Part 2)

So today... I pick Ari up from school. I walk in through the front door into the short hallway reserved for student jackets and file folders and there, blocking my entrance from the hallway to the rest of the school is: a gate. A brand new gate. I started cracking up just in time for the school's director to round the corner, catch my eye and groan. "She's killing us!" the director wailed. I responded, still laughing, "She's not killingyou. I'm just glad someone else gets to share in the joy of my child with me!" "She's wet. Soaking wet. She got out again today & headed straight for the puddles. I don't know if she saw it out the window or something, but she headed straight for the water. So... she doesn't have any shoes on right now. But I ran straight over to Home Depot and bought a gate and installed it right away. It's not going to work for us though because the kids can't get into the hallway to put their papers in their folders or get their jackets from the rack. So... we're getting a lock for the front door that locks only on the inside and that can only be opened with a code!" The director was wide-eyed. With a smile on my face and in my voice I asked, "And all this is because of my child?" "Yes! And we're charging you double for her!"

Of course our banter back and forth was light-hearted and playful. I am absolutely getting a KICK out of this. Obviously the director of the school isn't quite as pleased with the situation but we are great friends so I'm looking at this with a very positive attitude. Thankfully all of this escaping is happening with my child and not someone else who might not think it was as amusing. This is simply helping the school take further precautions for a future student who may wander further than my own Ari.

I wonder if the lock on the door will be in place next week...

1 comment:

Renee Sagon said...

marina oh my word!!! love this!