Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Spelt Pancakes

Here is our "famous" spelt pancakes recipe for all who have asked! Please note, I often "eyeball" this recipe & change it up from time to time. Here is my best estimate about the measurements. Sometimes I add the ground flax seed meal, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll add a scoop of brown rice protein powder or some other oddball powder mix for a healthier you! Adjust it to your own liking and tastes. If you use all spelt flour rather than a combo, the pancakes aren't much like a pancake. It can be done, of course, but you'll need to adjust your wet ingredients (reduce). To note about the vanilla, I use quite a bit (probably quite a bit more than noted here) because we like that flavor in our pancakes and we don't use syrup as a topping, so... you MIGHT want to reduce that one or eliminate it altogether? Whatever you do, enjoy it!


Spelt Pancakes w/ Flax Seeds
About sixteen 4-inch pancakes

Dry Ingredients:
1 cups spelt flour*
½ cup all-purpose flour*
1 ¾ tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup flax seeds
1 tablespoon ground flax seed meal


Combine in another bowl:
2 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs
1 ½ tablespoon PURE vanilla extract*
2 tablespoons sugar (or other sweetener like honey or agave nectar)**


Mix the liquid ingredients quickly into the dry ingredients.

*These items are approximate and differ from time to time when I make this recipe. I tend to eyeball this recipe rather than measure it out.

**Sometimes I use sugar, sometimes I use honey, etc. If you use syrup or jam as a pancake topping you will likely want to eliminate this sweetener.

1 comment:

Emily Branca said...

So, in response to your little comment on my blog... I was just very attached to those other strengths... not to say the reoccurring ones are boring, but the other two in place of my beloved empathy and includer... I felt very connected with those two, not so much the new two... I'm also not one too fond of change, couldn't tell could you?!